How Hypnotherapy Could Help You Quit Smoking?
Are you here to seek help to quit smoking? Well, it is no surprise because approximately 6.9 million people in the UK are adapted to smoking. However, thanks to hypnotherapy and other treatments that the ratio has fallen from 27% in 1993 to 16% in 2019.
If you are also the one who wants to abandon cigarettes through hypnosis and does not know how hypnotherapy could help you quit smoking. Then this article is for you.
Why do people smoke?
Do you remember when did you taste your first cigarette? Or do you remember why did you start smoking? Most people start smoking in their teenage years. Here are central reasons why people start smoking:
1. The primary reason for this early smoking is a desire to try something new and adventurous, says the American Cancer Society. However, in the case of some teenagers, peer pressure is the starting point of this damaging pathway. Studies show that the younger you are when you start smoking, the greater the chances will be of nicotine addiction.
2. Many adults start smoking due to some financial pressure or stress. Stress can’t be limited to a single age group and so is smoking. You might have started smoking when you felt anxious and doomed in a condition and found no way out. You’d have thought that smoking might work to make you feel relaxed.
But my friend smoking is the only way to nicotine abuse. Once you get addicted to nicotine, you will have to work so hard to get out of it.
3. Media has a great influence on our society. Our youth is more inclined to do those tasks that are trending on different sites. According to research, middle school students who are exposed to pro-tobacco media are more susceptible to initiate smoking than those who are not highly exposed to media influence. This shows that most of our youngsters fall prey to smoking because of the media.
4. Parental influence and the temptation of Cuban Cigar are also the underlying reasons for nicotine addiction. An appealing smell of a cigar never lets a person hold back from smoking.
What is Hypnotherapy and How It Works?
You must have a vague idea of hypnosis as a mind-controlling technique. But hypnotherapy is not just a mind control process. It is a psychotherapy that involves relaxation, increased attention, and deep concentration to achieve a heightened state of mindfulness. In this process, a hypnotherapist uses enhanced awareness of the subject’s mind to create a positive change and alleviate his problems.
In a hypnotic state, the hypnotherapist helps you explore the blockage causing problems or find ways to deal with the bothersome situation. He strengthens your ability to manage problems. Hypnotherapy involves different techniques for different situations.
In suggestion therapy, your hypnotherapist will make some gentle and kind suggestions for your behavior and lifestyle changes. In a dream-like state of hypnosis, you will be more open to these suggestions.
Coping and relaxation therapies are the other ways that hypnotherapist adopts for the patients. In these conditions, you will be encouraged to face your anxieties and visualize yourself in a relaxed state, respectively.
If you are sidestepping hypnotherapy because of some misgivings and suspicions, then I assure you that a professional hypnotherapist does not make you do things that you don’t want to do. He aims at your well-being and health.
Hypnotherapy to quit smoking:
When a person smokes, he takes in nicotine and other dangerous chemical products. This nicotine will stimulate dopamine secretion which is a happiness hormone. As a result, a pleasant sensation wraps that person all around and makes him addicted to it. And dealing with addiction has never been easy.
An American study of 2007 suggests that hypnotherapy is three times better than other smoking cessation techniques. Hypnotherapy has helped millions of people so far to deal with their obstructive habits.
Similarly, hypnotherapy has also helped patients that want to quit smoking for their lives. Quitting nicotine is not an easy task. A special technique called Spiegel’s method is a famous smoking cessation process that aims at three ideas:
- Smoking poisons your body.
- You need your body to live.
- You owe respect and protection to your body ( to the extent you want to live).
The hypnotherapist uncover the root cause of the problem and teaches self-hypnosis to the smokers and then give suggestions during the session including these assertions which help the subconscious mind to give up the unhealthy habit.
How effective is hypnotherapy for smokers?
A medical review of 59 studies shows the effectiveness of hypnosis in quitting smoking. If you have tried nicotine lozenges, chewing gums, and counseling, and they are failed to help you kick the habit, then it’s time to ask your doctor. Consult your doctor and ask him for hypnotherapy.
Remember that hypnosis is a tool that will help you do the things that you are already capable of. It is no magic what you have presumed through watching some television series.
Another benefit of hypnotic treatment for smoking cessation, you might not experience any withdrawal symptoms like appetite, cravings, headaches, fatigue, constipation, anxiety, depression, irritability, as you might do with other methods. This is because hypnotherapy helps to make deep and permanent changes in subconscious mind where it accept the healthy behaviour.